Happy Friday, folks! Grab some popcorn or a Rubik's Cube and settle in. I am opening a pack of 1989 Topps and I'll post the draft info for this week. First, let's rip some wax.
1989 Topps. 15 cards and 1 piece of nasty gum per pack.
Jack Clark - Yankees - Matthew Wilson (Wahoo!!)
Jim Ganter - Brewers - Free Agent
Moose Stubing - Angels - Free Agent
Brian Downing - Angels - ScottCrawfordOnCards (Wahoo!!)
Wayne Tolleson - Yankees - Play at the Plate (Wahoo!!)
Les Straker - Twins - Dawgbones (Wahoo!!)
Rick Mahler - Braves - Dayf (Wahoo!!)
Company Store Promo Card (T-Shirt)
Pirates Leaders - Al Pedrique/Tony Gwynn - Free Agent/Backstop Cards (Wahoo!!)
Tom Browning - Reds - Fan of Reds (Wahoo!!)
Lance McCullers - Padres - Free Agent
Mark Lewis Draft Pick - Indians (Wahoo!) - Free Agent
Ed VandeBerg - Rangers - Free Agent
Andre Dawson - Cubs - Jafronius (Wahoo!!)
Lou Brock Turn Back the Clock - Cardinals - E_Rose (Wahoo!!)
First of all, in the name of full disclosure, these babies are WARPED! I don't know if they were in the sun too long, crammed down in a box and serving as supporting beams or what! Secondly, doesn't "Lou Brock Turn Back the Clock!" sound like some chant from an 80's game show? Or maybe there is a Cher song playing in your head... Something about turning back time... What's that? It wasn't in your head until I suggested it and now you can't get the bloomin' thing out of there!? Welcome to my world. Ah well, strange things can happen on a Friday evening... Congrats to the managers adding these 'classics' to their collections!
Now, I know, many of you just came for the draft. Not even the 10-cent kind, either.
Let's see if we have any notables this week:
- Moose Stubing - just for the name alone
- Mark Lewis - 'cause he's a Triber, duh!
- Joey Devine - the different shades of green make this a cool-looking card
- J.D. Drew - How on earth is he not already picked!? Wow!
- Mike Lowell - one of the best action shots caught on card
- Tom Gordon - there's a Stephen King story about a baseball player who is not the same Tom Gordon
- Kevin Bass - for posing at what appears to be a high school track meet
- Chin-lung Hu - because the "Trading Card History" set is like the Archives set. Kinda.
There may be others on the list that you wish I would have included. Feel free to discuss.
Meanwhile, here's the link to the draft: